Sample letter

Complain about a bailiff overcharging you (joint names)

​​Use this letter to tell the bailiffs or High Court Enforcement Officers that they have added more fees to your debt than the law allows. Make sure you get a breakdown of their fees and get advice about what the law allows them to charge first. Contact us for advice before using this letter.

Letter in sole names

You can choose to send a letter in your own name or in joint names. You may have a debt in joint names, or want to write to your creditors together because you have worked out a joint budget.
  • Fill in your contact details, account number and any extra information you want to include in the grey shaded areas.

  • Today’s date will be added automatically.

  • Download your letter to your computer for saving and printing by clicking on ‘Download pdf’ or ‘Download doc’ on the left.

  • Sign each letter and enclose a copy of your budget if needed.

23 September 2020

Dear Sir/Madam

Account No:

We are writing to you about our with the above account number and the breakdown of the fees that you have sent us.

Under The Taking Control of Goods (Fees) Regulations 2014, the amount you should have charged us was £.

We are making a formal complaint that you have overcharged us by £. If you think that our calculation is incorrect, please explain why. Otherwise, please by .

Unless you can explain why you think that our calculation is incorrect, or you refund/remove the fees that have been incorrectly added, we will take this complaint to the .

We are sending a copy of this letter to .

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully