Increasing your income

Help with gas, electricity and water costs

  • You should be getting the Warm Home Discount automatically if you were receiving the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit on 9 July 2017.  This will take £140 off your electricity bill. If you are not getting this and you think you should be, contact your energy supplier
    If you are not able to get the Warm Home Discount automatically, you may be able to get it if you are on a low income and:
    - you are on benefits and have a young child under 5 years old;
    - you have someone who is disabled or has a long-term illness in your household; or
    - you spend more than 10% of your income on heating your home.
    Contact your energy supplier to see if you are able to get the discount.
  • Can you cut down on the energy you use? Contact the Energy Saving Trust for more information on its website about saving energy. GOV.UK has a calculator which tells you what help you can get with energy grants and heating costs.
  • Contact your supplier to find out what help they can provide. Their contact details will be on their website and bill.
  • If you have a closed energy account with an amount of credit still in it, contact the supplier to get this credit back. See the My Energy Credit website for more information.
  • You may be able to apply for other grants, depending on the benefits you receive and your age.
  • In Wales, you can also apply for free home improvements through the Nest scheme. Contact Nest on 0808 808 2244 or check what energy grants and help you can get on the Nest website.
  • You may be able to get a grant through the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) programme for insulation and heating improvements, plus they can give advice about saving energy. See more information on the Energy Saving Trust website.
  • Can you make your water bill easier to pay? If you pay your water bill monthly, but over less than 12 months, ask your water company to reset your payments over the full 12 months.  This will reduce the amount that you have to pay each month.
  • Can you get a cheaper tariff? Some water companies have a special tariff which can reduce the amount of your current water charges. Check with your supplier what types of tariff they offer.

Some energy and water companies have trust funds and support schemes that may be able to give you further help to pay your bills if you are in financial difficulties.​ Get information about trust funds and support schemes you can apply to for financial help by going to the Auriga Services website Click on the link to the Help with Water & Energy booklet at the top of the page.  If your supplier does not have a trust fund, you can apply to the British Gas Energy Trust for help, even if you are not a consumer of British Gas.

Help with water bills and Help from gas and electricity companies

  • You may be able to save some money by switching to a different energy supplier. This may work out cheaper, particularly if you have both gas and electricity from the same supplier. If you owe money to your energy supplier, you may not be accepted by a new supplier but you should be allowed to switch if you have a prepayment meter and owe less than £500. There are a number of independent price-comparison websites that can help you find the best deal. Contact the Citizens Advice consumer service for a list of authorised companies, or check the list on Ofgem's website.

Getting the best energy deal

  • If you are a single person, it could be cheaper to go on a water meter. If your water bills are already high on a water meter and you are on certain benefits, you may be able to get help through the WaterSure scheme. In Wales, you may be able to get help through the WaterSure Wales scheme.

Help with water bills

  • If you have reached pensionable age, you may be entitled to a lump sum each year called the Winter Fuel Payment. Contact the Winter Fuel Helpline on 0845 915 1515. ​​