Court fines

​The sheriff or justice of the peace court may order you to pay a fine, for example, for a driving offence, for not having a TV licence or for some other offence.
If you have been ordered to pay a fine by the sheriff or justice of the peace court, you must make sure that you include this in your budget and that you do not fall behind with the payments.
If you have already fallen behind with a sheriff or justice of the peace court fine, the court has strong powers to recover the fine. This is a priority debt.

Dealing with your priority debts and Court fines for more information.

If you have a court fine, it is important that you get advice and don't ignore it. We have a fact sheet that might be helpful.

This fact sheet tells you how you can get a fine from a sheriff or justice of the peace court and how to deal with it. It also describes what the court can do to recover the money you owe on the fine if you do not deal with it, or miss agreed payments.
Use this fact sheet to:

  • find out more about the different types of fines you can get; 
  • what the court can do to recover the money owed on a fine; and
  • understand when the court can and cannot send you to prison if you do not pay the fine.