Increasing your income

Help from grants, advances and loans



Turn2us is a charity that helps people in financial need get access to benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. Check what benefits you may be able to get using the Turn2us benefits calculator and other advice about benefits, as well as a grants search tool, or ring the helpline on 0808 802 2000. ​

  • Check with your local council to see if you can get help with the costs of repairs to your home through their Scheme of Assistance. this will depend on your income, whether you have a disability and what repairs need doing in your home. Some councils offer disabled people and people aged over 60 'care and repair' facilities. Check for more information about care and repair.
  • If you are on Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit, you may qualify for a short-term advance or a budgeting loan from the DWP. If you are on Universal Credit, you may qualify for a short-term advance or a budgeting advance. Payments depend on your circumstances and there are guidelines on the type of items you are allowed to buy and who will qualify for help. Check GOV.UK for more information about budgeting loans or Universal Credit and contact us for advice.
  • The Social Fund provides funeral expenses payments for people on qualifying benefits. Contact us for advice.
  • You may be able to get Best Start Grant - Pregnancy and Baby payment from Social Security Scotland if you are pregnant, if you have given birth in the last six months, if you're adopting or if you become responsible for a child under one year of age. Contact us for advice.
  • If you are pregnant or have a child under four and you are on certain benefits, or you are pregnant and under 18, you may qualify for help with milk, fruit, vegetables and vitamins under the Healthy Start scheme. Contact the Healthy Start Issuing Unit on 0845 607 6823 or check to see if you qualify for this scheme on the Healthy Start website.
  • If you have no income or there is an emergency or disaster, you can apply for help from your local council through the Scottish Welfare Fund.
  • Foodbanks: the Trussell Trust has set up foodbanks where you might get emergency food, if you can’t afford to buy what you need. See if there is a foodbank in your area on their website Use the  Find a foodbank near you search box. Other foodbanks have been set up, linked to the Independent Food Aid Network. You can get contact details for these foodbanks on their website Click on the link to the Map of Independent Food Aid Network Members. People at foodbanks may be able to suggest other kinds of help too.

Extra advice:

Financial Health Check

The Scottish Government has launched a service to give personalised advice on money matters, from reducing energy costs to accessing grants and benefits. Contact the free, confidential service on 0800 085 7145 or by visiting your local Citizens Advice.