Increasing your income

Help with gas and electricity

  • You should be getting the Warm Home Discount automatically if you were receiving the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit on 9 July 2017. This will take £140 off your electricity bill. If you are not getting this and you think you should be, contact your energy supplier
    If you are not able to get the Warm Home Discount automatically, you may be able to get it if you are on a low income and:
    - you are on benefits and have a young child under 5 years old;
    - you have someone who is disabled or has a long-term illness in your household; or
    - you spend more than 10% of your income on heating your home.
    Contact your energy supplier to see if you are able to get the discount.
  • If you have reached pensionable age, you may be entitled to a lump sum each year called the Winter Fuel Payment. Contact the Winter Fuel Payments Centre on 0800 731 0160.
  • Can you cut down on the energy you use? See information on the Home Energy Scotland website or call on 0808 808 2282 for more information. See the Energy Saving Trust for more information about saving energy. GOV.UK has a calculator which tells you what help you can get with energy grants and heating costs.
  • Contact your supplier to find out what help they can provide. Their contact details will be on their website and bill.
  • ​If you have a closed energy account with an amount of credit still in it, contact the supplier to get this credit back. See the My Energy Credit website for more information.
  • You may be able to get a grant through the Affordable Warmth Obligation for insulation and heating improvements from your energy supplier, plus they can give advice about saving energy.

Some energy companies have trust funds and support schemes that may be able to give you further help to pay your bills if you are in financial difficulties.​ Get information about trust funds and support schemes you can apply to for financial help by going to the Auriga Services website Click on the link to the Help with Water & Energy booklet at the top of the page.  If your supplier does not have a trust fund, you can apply to the British Gas Energy Trust for help, even if you are not a consumer of British Gas.

Help from gas and electricity companies

  • You may be able to save some money by switching to a different energy supplier.This may work out cheaper, particularly if you have both gas and electricity from the same supplier. If you owe money to your energy supplier, you may not be accepted by a new supplier but you should be allowed to switch if you have a prepayment meter and owe less than £500. There are a number of independent price-comparison websites that can help you find the best deal. Contact the Citizens Advice consumer service for a list of authorised companies, or check the list on Ofgem's website.

Getting the best energy deal

  • If you are a single person it is usually cheaper to pay for your water with your council tax. For larger households it could be cheaper to go on a water meter.