Dealing with your priority debts

Further action against you by the council

Once the council has got a summary warrant, they may try and take further action against you. There are a number of ways they can try and make you pay, such as freezing money in your bank account or taking regular deductions from your wages. This is called 'diligence'. It is important that you understand your rights and the types of diligence that the council can use.

Summary warrants and priority debts 

See our fact sheet:

Council tax recovery

Applying for time to pay your council tax debt

Once the council have got a summary warrant and they have started the process of taking further action against you, you can apply to the sheriff court for time to pay your council tax debt. If the court accepts your application for time to pay, and you keep making the payments set out in the time to pay order, the council cannot take most types of further action against you.