Dealing with your priority debts

The supplier still wants to cut my energy off

If you are threatened with being cut off, contact the social services department of your local council or the DWP for help. The energy supplier will delay cutting you off if they are told the social services or DWP are looking into your case. They will usually hold action for 10 working days but may agree to delay longer. This could give you time to make an arrangement to pay. The Children (Scotland) Act 1995 gives social services the power to make payments in certain circumstances to families with children.

You should contact the Citizens Advice consumer service if you are threatened with being cut off or have been disconnected.

Help to pay your bill

Some energy companies have set up trust funds that may be able to help you pay your energy bills if you are in financial difficulties. Get information about trust funds and support schemes you can apply to for financial help by going to the Auriga Services website Click on the link to the Help with Water & Energy booklet at the top of the page.  If your supplier does not have a trust fund, you can apply to the British Gas Energy Trust for help, even if you are not a consumer of British Gas.

Help with gas and electricity costs

Extra advice: 

complaining about your energy supplier

All suppliers should follow a code of practice when dealing with people in arrears. You can complain to Ombudsman Services: Energy about a billing or transfer problem but you must complain to your supplier first.

Extra advice:

questions about gas and electricity charges

If you are asked to repay money from a coin meter after a theft, or to pay a bill in somebody else's name, or if the supplier has set a token meter or budget scheme at a higher amount than you can afford, contact the Citizens' Advice consumer service, a local advice agency, or contact us for advice.








Getting the best energy deal

You might be able to save some money by switching to another supplier. This may work out cheaper, particularly if you have both gas and electricity from the same supplier.

Getting the best energy deal

Special problems for tenants

Your landlord may be responsible for paying the gas or electricity for your accommodation, and resell the energy directly to you. Ofgem sets maximum charges your landlord can sell gas and electricity to you at. You can get advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service about how much your landlord is allowed to charge you.

Contact your local advice agency or the Citizens Advice consumer service if:

  • you think you may have been overcharged for energy; or
  • the supplier is threatening to cut your supply off because the landlord has not paid the bill. ​