Coronavirus advice and support

 October 2020

Fact sheet no. 74 Coronavirus advice and support

The outbreak of coronavirus has resulted in many people losing their jobs or having to manage on a reduced income.  The Government, banks and other organisations have said they will offer help if you have been affected by coronavirus. 

This fact sheet explains what to do if you have been made redundant or are at risk of redundancy. It also covers the help available to anybody with bills or debts that they cannot afford to pay because of the outbreak. ​

If you need more information about the symptoms of coronavirus, or advice about avoiding infection, go to the NHS website.

You may get other kinds of help if you are self-employed. Business Debtline can give you more information, see

Help for employees

The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS) was introduced to prevent the need for your employer to make you redundant. If you’re enrolled on the scheme you would be classed as a furloughed worker, which means you are kept on your employer's payroll, rather than being laid off. To be eligible your employer would need to have registered you on the CJRS by 10 June 2020. The scheme will run until the end of October 2020

If you are returning from parental leave, you may still be able to enroll on the scheme after 10th June 2020. Speak to y​our employer about this. 

During June and July HMRC will pay 80% of your wage to your employer up to a cap of £2,500, as well as your National Insurance and minimum pension contributions. The amount HMRC will pay is being reduced from August; your employer will have to make up any shortfall, so you’ll still receive at least 80% of your wage and get your national insurance and minimum pension contribution paid. 

From 1 July 2020, the Government introduced ‘flexible furloughing​’. This will enable your employer to bring you back to work for any amount of time and any shift pattern, whilst still using the CJRS to claim for the usual hours that you haven’t worked. 

To be eligible for flexible furloughing, you will need to have been furloughed for at least a three week period between 1 March and 30 June 2020

  • ​Your employer will need to agree any hours that they expect you to work with you. 
  • ​Your employer should keep a new written agreement that confirms the new furlough arrangement. 
  • A flexible furlough agreement can last for any amount of time and as many agreements can be entered it to as necessary.
  • There will be no minimum period for which you have to be furloughed.​

The Job Support Scheme

The government has announced that from 1 November 2020 the Job Support Scheme​ will replace the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. You do not need to have been part of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme to be eligible. 

To qualify for the Job Support Scheme, you must be on your employer’s payroll between 6 April 2019 and 23 September 2020.

The help you receive through the Job Support Scheme depends on whether your hours are reduced or whether you are unable to work because of restrictions. 

If your hours have been reduced, the Job Support Scheme will enable the government and your employer to continue to pay you for some of the hours you are not able to work.  

  • You need to work at least 20% of your usual hours.​​
  • ​Your employer will need to pay you for all the hours you have worked.
  • For hours you have not worked, you will be paid two-thirds of your usual wage. The government will pay 61.67% and your employer will pay 5%
  • Your working hours can change, but any short-time working arrangement must cover seven days.
  • Your employer cannot make you redundant whilst you are on the scheme.
  • The Government contribution will be a maximum of £1541.75 a month.​

If you are unable to work for a temporary period due to local or national restrictions, the Job Support Scheme may be able to help by paying two-thirds of your wage. 

  • You do not need to work any hours for your employer to use the scheme. 
  • Your employer must be subject to restrictions and you must be off work for a minimum of seven consecutive calendar days.​
  • Your employer does not need to pay you anything on top of the two-thirds received from the government.
  • Your employer cannot make you redundant whilst you are on the scheme.
  • The government contribution will be a maximum of £2083.33 a month.
​Speak to your employer about the scheme if your hours are reduced or they are forced to close due to alert level restrictions. ​

In work and need to self-isolate?

Test and Trace Support Payment scheme

From 28 September 2020, if you are on a low income and are asked to self-isolate you may receive a payment of £500.

Local schemes should start running by 12 October 2020, if you have been asked to self-isolate from 28 September the payment will be backdated. You will be eligible for the payment if you live in England, Wales or Scotland and meet the following criteria: 

  • ​you have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace and have a unique ID number; 
  • you are employed and your employer can confirm you are unable to work from home, or you are self-employed and you can show that you are unable to run your business without social contact; and 
  • you are claiming at least one of the following benefits: universal credit, working tax credit, income-related employment and support allowance, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, income support, pension credit or housing benefit.​
If you don’t receive one of the qualifying benefits, local authority’s may still be able to make a payment to you if you are on a low income and could suffer financial hardship from not being able to work. Contact your local authority​ to make a claim. The payment won’t affect any other benefits and you can make further claims if you meet the criteria.

Statutory Sick Pay

The Government has announced changes to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) for people affected by coronavirus who have to self-isolate. SSP will now be paid from the first day of sickness rather than the usual fourth day of sickness. You will also be able to claim SSP if you are caring for someone within the same household who shows symptoms of coronavirus and has been told to self-isolate. More information can be found on the GOV.UK website.
  • SSP is £94.25 per week and can be paid for up to 28 weeks. To qualify, a worker must earn at least £118 per week.

If you are not eligible to receive SSP you can claim Universal Credit and/or new style Employment and Support Allowance.

Visit Turn2us​for more information about benefits and how to claim them.

Claim benefits

If you are unable to claim Statutory Sick Pay but coronavirus means you are too sick to work, you may be able to claim new style Employment and Support Allowance, as long as you have paid enough National Insurance contribution in the last two to three years

  • ​New style Employment and Support Allowance will now get paid from day one of your claim rather than the usual day eight
  • You can now claim new style Employment and Support Allowance online.
  • Income and savings that you or your partner have will not affect your claim.
​If you are able to work but have lost your job or work less than 16 hours per week, you may be able to claim new style Jobseekers Allowance​ as long as you have paid enough National Insurance contribution in the last two to three years.
  • ​You can get new style Jobseekers Allowance for up to six months and it will be paid every two weeks
  • Income and savings that you or your partner/spouse have will not affect your claim. 
If you aren’t able to get new style Employment and Support Allowance/new style Job Seekers allowance, or you can but need extra financial help, you will need to make a separate application for Universal Credit.


Universal Credit can affect other benefits

Making a claim for Universal Credit may mean that you lose other benefits you currently get, such as tax credits. 

Once you make a Universal Credit claim, your tax credit claim will stop and you cannot go back to tax credits. Before you apply for Universal Credit, try to get advice from a benefits adviser to check if you will be better off claiming Universal Credit. You can look for a local benefits adviser on the Turn2us website.

  • ​​Universal Credit is based on your household situation so your or your partner’s income and savings may affect how much you will get.
  • If you are making a new claim for Universal Credit you do not need to call anyone, claims can be made online​. If anything needs checking the DWP will call you back. 
  • There is a five week wait to receive your first Universal Credit payment. You can receive a month’s advance which you then pay back. 
You can use Citizens Advice Help to Claim service if you need additional support when making a Universal Credit application.
Visit Turn2us for more information about benefits and how to claim them. They have a benefits calculator​ to help you find out what you may be able to claim. ​

Already claiming benefits?

If you are claiming Universal Credit or new style Job Seekers Allowance you may need to meet certain requirements to continue to receive the benefit. This could be job searching, periods of time at work, or attending regular meetings or assessments. 

The Government had previously announced that all face-to-face meetings were cancelled, however jobcentres will start to fully re-open again from July 2020. Contact the office paying your benefits to check if you need to attend your jobcentre again. 

Work search requirements for Universal Credit and Job Seekers Allowance had also been suspended for three months from 30 March 2020, these work search requirements will also restart in July 2020. If you don’t meet the work search requirements you may get your benefits sanctioned​, speak to your work coach to make sure you know what you are expected to do.  

​If coronavirus means you are unable to carry out a task, you should phone the office paying the benefit to explain why. If you are claiming Universal credit, inform your work coach and explain what has happened in your online journal.

Reviews and reassessments for sickness and disability benefits had been suspended for three months, these are due to restart from July 2020 for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA). The Government has confirmed that you still do not need to attend face-to-face assessments until further notice. This will apply if you receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP), Disability Living Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Industrial Injuries Disability Benefit and possibly Universal Credit.​

Special arrangements will be in place if you are in receipt of benefits and cannot attend reassessments or jobcentre appointments because you are required to stay at home or are infected by coronavirus. For example:

  • if you are disabled or sick and cannot attend a reassessment for Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit you will continue to receive your payments while your assessment is rearranged.

You can find more details on GOV.UK.​


if you are already claiming Universal Credit

Make sure you explain in your online journal why you haven’t been unable to carry out any task as expected.

The Government has temporarily changed the way they work out Universal Credit for self-employed people on low incomes. You can contact the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644 for more information.

Post Office Card Accounts - cash delivery of some benefit payments 

You may be able to have your Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) benefit payments delivered in cash to your home by Royal Mail Special Delivery if:

  • you have a Post Office Card Account;
  • live in England; and 
  • cannot leave your home because of shielding reasons. 
The National Shielding Service and DWP will decide whether this is suitable. If you haven’t already been contacted but feel that this service would help you, contact the DWP and ask whether you can be included in this scheme.​

Benefit increases

From 6 April 2020 the standard allowance in Universal Credit and the basic element in Working Tax Credit will be increased by £20 per week. This will apply to new and existing claimants. The exact amount you will receive will depend on your situation.

If you rent privately the maximum amount of help you can receive through Housing Benefit or Universal Credit has been increased to 30% of the average rents in all areas of the UK. This is called the Local Housing Allowance.

To find out more about how these changes may help you, please visit Turn2us. They have a benefit calculator​ to help you find out if and how much you may be able to claim.

Benefit overpayments

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) temporarily stopped taking action to recover the following benefits for three months: 

  • ​DWP benefit overpayments; 
  • tax credit debts being managed by the DWP; and 
  • social fund loans. 
​These overpayments will start to be collected again from July 2020.

If you previously repaid by direct debit, you will receive a letter from the DWP before repayments start again. If you stopped the repayment with your bank, you may need to set up the repayments again from July 2020. Speak to the DWP Debt Management line on 0800 916 0647 if you are unsure.

If you previously repaid through your wages, the DWP will write to you to see if an alternative repayment plan can be set up. If you previously repaid through your benefits, you will be notified of repayments starting again by a letter or Universal Credit journal entries. 

The DWP will also restart other methods of recovery such as using debt collectors.

If you are experiencing financial hardship and think you will struggle to afford the repayments you were previously making, speak to the DWP Debt Management line on 0800 916 0647.

Eligible Loan Reduction Scheme​


Repayments to the Eligible Loan Reduction Scheme will also start again in July 2020, you’ll be notified by letter and don’t need to do anything​

Check insurance policies

Check if you have an insurance policy which could increase your income or cover payments on essential items such as your mortgage. Contact the insurer to see what help you may be able to receive. You may have:

  • ​payment protection insurance;
  • ​mortgage payment protection insurance; or
  • accident, sickness or unemployment insurance.​

​Help from your insurance provider​


The FCA have said insurers should agree to a payment deferral of between one and three months. You can request a deferral any time until the 18 August 2020. If your insurer agrees to a payment deferral, your credit reference file will not be affected.

Your insurer may be able to accept reduced payments or change your payment date, speak to them to see how they can help.

Your bank or lender may be able to help

New measures brought in by the Financial conduct Authority (FCA)

The FCA has introduced new measures that may help if you have temporary financial difficulties because of coronavirus. The measures: 

  • ​​cover personal loans, credit cards, store cards, catalogues and overdrafts;
  • will not affect your credit file; and
  • ​can be asked for until 31 October 2020.
​If you have been affected by coronavirus, you can ask for a temporary payment freeze on personal loans, credit cards, store cards and catalogues for up to three months. This means that you will not have to make a payment for the time agreed. Your lender will continue to charge Interest during the payment freeze, so it is likely that your payments will be higher once the payment freeze has ended. So, if you can afford to make the usual payment (or a part payment), continue to do so.

If you have been affected by coronavirus and already have an arranged overdraft on your main personal current account, you can ask for up to £500 of the overdraft borrowing to be charged at zero interest for three months. 

If you are interested in one of these measures, check your lender's website for information. Where possible, use online services to ask for support. You can call your lender, but it may take quite a while to get through. If you haven't already asked for this support, you have until the 31 October 2020 to do so.


If you have already had a payment freeze for three months and it’s coming to an end.

  • ​If you can now afford to pay your usual payments, do so.  You may also need to discuss how you are going to repay any missed payments with your lender. 
  • If you cannot afford to pay your usual payments, let your lender know. They should contact you before your three month payment freeze ends to discuss your situation. You can ask for a further three month payment freeze.  

​If you have already had an interest-free overdraft for three months and it’s coming to an end. 

  • ​If you are still in temporary financial difficulty as a result of coronavirus, let your lender know. You can ask for up to £500 of the overdraft borrowing to be charged at zero interest for a further three months

See the FCA’s Coronavirus: information for consumers on personal loans, credit cards and overdrafts​ for more information about the new measures

Other bank debts

If you are struggling to pay unsecured bank debts that are not covered by the new FCA measures, you can still contact your bank to explain your situation. Each bank will consider what help it may give on a case by case basis. Go to their website to see what help is available. You can also call your bank, but be aware that you may have to wait some time.

If you agree a payment holiday with your bank because of problems caused by coronavirus, it shouldn't negatively affect your credit reference file. This has been agreed by credit reference agencies, Experian, Equifax and TransUnion.

Some banks are also allowing people to access their fixed-savings accounts without a penalty. Contact your bank, explain your situation and see how they can help.

Avoid taking out more credit unless you know that you can afford to pay it back. 

If you have debts which are now unaffordable contact us for advice. Whilst you are waiting to receive the advice you need you can send your creditors a letter asking them to hold action on your acc​ount​ due to coronavirus​.

Help with your mortgage

The Government has announced that if you are affected by the coronavirus and struggle to pay your mortgage you may be able to receive a three month payment holiday. This means you will not have to make repayment for three months. However, interest will continue to accrue during this time​. 

If you have not yet had a payment holiday you have until 31 October 2020 to request one. From 4 June, if you have already had a payment holiday and need further help, your lender may be able to offer a further three-month full or part payment holiday. Speak to your lender to see if this may be an option.​

  • ​Your lender will look at your individual circumstances and offer support on a case-by-case basis.
  • You will need to make up the payments that have been deferred; this could be over the remaining term of the mortgage.
  • If a payment holiday is agreed then it will not affect your credit file. However, lenders may review your bank account if you apply for more credit. As a result, in some cases this could affect their lending decision.
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has issued guidance for lenders and useful Mortgage and

coronavirus: information for consumers.

If you have other loans secured on your home and it is the right decision for you, you can also ask your lender if they will give you a payment holiday on those loans too.

The FCA has also announced that no repossession action should be taken by lenders until 31 October 2020.​

In England and Wales, the court service also announced that from 27 March 2020, it will suspend all new and ongoing possession action for 90 days. The suspension has now been extended and will apply until 20 September 2020.​

If you have been sent an eviction notice, contact the court that is dealing with your case to check that the action is being suspended. If it is not being suspended, contact Shelter for advice straight away.

If you cannot afford to pay your mortgage or already have arrears, contact your lender as soon as possible to discuss your situation.

If you are at risk of repossession and your lender is unhelpful, contact:

Information is also available on their websites.

Help to Buy customers

The Government has confirmed a possible three month repayment holiday if you have been affected by the coronavirus and have Help to Buy loans.

For more details contact the Help to Buy: Equity Loan administrator on 0345 848 0236. if the loan was taken out in wales you should contact Help to Buy (Wales) Ltd​ on 029 2080 3451.

Help with your rent

The Government introduced temporary laws to protect tenants.

It initially said that from 26 March 2020 to 30 September 2020, in most cases landlords must give at least three months' notice before they can start court action to evict you. This has now been updated.

  • ​In Wales, new regulations update the notice period that landlords need to give to end most tenancies. From 29 August 2020 to 31 March 2021, in most cases a landlord must give you six months' notice.
  • In England, new regulations update the notice period that landlords need to give to end most tenancies. From 29 August 2020 to 31 March 2021, in most cases where there is less than six months of rent arrears, a landlord must give you six months' notice.

From 27 March 2020 until 20 September 2020 the court service in England and Wales suspended (stayed) most possession action because of coronavirus. This temporary stay has now ended. This does not mean that your landlord will begin court action. 

If you cannot afford to pay your rent or already have arrears, contact your landlord as soon as possible to discuss your situation.

If your landlord starts new possession action in England and Wales or asks the court to re-start a claim that was previously suspended because of coronavirus, there are extra rules that they need to follow. For more information, see our Rent arrears fact sheet​

If you have received possession claim forms, are being threatened with court action or need extra support, contact:​

  • Shelter on 0808 800 4444 if you live in England; or
  • Shelter Cymru on 0800 049 5495 if you live in Wales.
  • Information is also available on their websites.​

    In Wales, the Tenant Saver Loan Scheme is now open. This scheme offers loans to certain private sector tenants in Wales to cover rent arrears that have built up since 1 March 2020. To check whether you are eligible, see Credit Unions Wales​.​

    If you claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit with help towards housing costs, you may be able to claim a Discretionary Housing Payment. A Discretionary Housing Payment can give you extra money to pay towards your rent. You should be able to claim online, check with your local council​

    Extra advice if you are in Scotland

    The Housing and Property Chamb​er​  has rescheduled hearings that had previously been postponed due to coronavirus. If you had a case that had been postponed, you will be notified when you should attend the Tribunal.​

    All mandatory grounds for eviction have become discretionary. This means that the Tribunal that decides whether you should be evicted, can decide not to if they wish. 

    The Scottish Government has passed a temporary law to protect tenants in Scotland during the coronavirus period. In most cases, your landlord will now need to give you six months' notice before they can start legal action to evict you. These new rules will be in place until at least 31 March 2021. There are some exceptions, such as where a landlord is ending the tenancy due to antisocial and criminal behaviour, or because the landlord or their family need to move into the property. ​  

    If you are a private tenant, new rules also came into force on 1 October 2020 which cover the process a landlord should follow if they are considering repossession action against you. 

  • ​Your landlord should provide you with clear information relating to, the terms of the tenancy, the amount of arrears and your rights in relation to the repossession proceedings.
  • Your landlord should try to agree a reasonable plan to with you. They should consider affordability, taking into account your personal and financial circumstances. 
  • You should be allowed time to consider and seek advice on any proposed payment plan. 
  • A full list of the pre-action requirements that your landlord now needs to follow can be found on the website. 

    To help with negotiations, SafeDeposits Scotland has a free resolution service. Either you or your landlord can approach them, their aim is to try and stop tenants being evicted.

    The Scottish Government have produced a private rented sector (PRS) tenant resource​ which has detailed information on dealing with rent arrears during the coronavirus pandemic.​

    If your landlord is unhelpful and you need more support, contact Shelter Scotland​ on 0808 800 4444.

Help with your Council Tax

Councils in England have received guidance from the Government on how they should use new funding to help households in their area.

If you currently get help from the Council Tax Reduction scheme (also called Council Tax Support) and are of working-age, you may see your council tax bill for 2020-2021 reduce by a further £150.

  • ​You do not need to have been directly affected by coronavirus to be eligible
  • You do not need to apply to the council for this extra reduction. Councils already have details of households that get help through the Council Tax Reduction scheme and should contact you directly.​

Your 2020-2021 council tax bill

Some councils are changing the months during which they collect council tax payments for the 2020-2021 tax year. Instead of collecting payments from April 2020 to January 2021, some councils are collecting payments from June 2020 to March 2021. This means that if you usually pay your council tax in 10 instalments, the months that you would not pay council tax would be April and May 2020, rather than February and March 2021. Check with your council to see if they are making this change.

If your council is not making this change and you will struggle to pay your council tax in April 2020, contact your council and explain this to them.

Councils may give further help if you are dealing with exceptional circumstances.​

Help from your energy provider

Energy providers have agreed that the disconnection of credit meters will be completely suspended. Also, if you are self-isolating and unable to top up your pre-payment meter, you can:

  • nominate a third party for credit top ups;
  • have a discretionary fund added to your credit; or
  • have a pre-loaded top up card sent so that your supply is not interrupted.

If you are struggling to manage repayments to your energy provider contact them to see what help they can provide. New guidance means that your debt repayments and bill payments ​could be reassessed, reduced or paused where necessary.

More information can be found on the GOV.UK website.​

If you are a vulnerable person, you could ask your energy provider to place you on the Priority Services Register. The Priority Services Register can help to make sure that you receive all the appropriate support you need. You can find out who may be classed as vulnerable and what help is available by visiting Ofgem​.

Help from your water company

Water companies have agreed to help customers in a variety of ways because of the coronavirus crisis. Water UK have said that companies are:

  • stopping new court applications on unpaid bills during the current restrictions, and stopping any enforcement visits;
  • actively offering payment breaks or payment holidays for anyone in financial difficulties as a result of coronavirus; and
  • adjusting payment plans urgently to help with sudden changes in household finances.
Each water company will have its own scheme, contact them directly to see what help can be provided.

A full list of possible support and more detail can be found on WaterUK's website.

In Scotland you’ll usually pay for your water through your council tax bill.  However, if you have a water meter then you’ll pay Scottish Water.  If you have a water meter and are struggling to pay your bill, contact Scottish Water to see how they can help.

Help from your mobile or broadband provider

Most of the main broadband and mobile companies have introduced a range of measures to try and help:

  • Providers will help if you are struggling to pay your bill, they will make sure you are treated fairly. Contact them if you are struggling to pay your bill.
  • They have committed to remove all data caps on fixed broadband services. Check with your provider if you aren’t sure if this applies to you.
  • You could now be offered a new package to help you stay connected. Some of these packages include data boosts at low prices and free calls from home phones or mobiles. Contact your provider to see if you could benefit from this.​

​Help with your TV licence

TV Licensing have taken steps to help if you are struggling to pay your TV licence.

  • If you are unable to keep up with payments, call them on 0300 555 0300 to see how they can help.
  • All arrears letters have stopped being been sent to people who have fallen behind on payments.
  • Collection visits by officers have also been stopped.
  • If you are in financial hardship and urgently need to stop your Direct Debit payments, call them on 0300 790 6068. If you are unable to get through, cancel the Direct Debit with your bank. You will need to make up any payments that you miss later on.​

TV Licensing has fewer staff answering calls at the moment so it will more difficult to speak to someone. If you need to make a payment, there are other ways you can try and pay.​ 

Help with other kinds of debt

The FCA also announced measures, including a payment freeze, to help if you have other types of lending and have temporary financial difficulties because of coronavirus. 

These measures will end on 31 October 2020. If affordable, you should start to make your repayments again.

If you are still unable to afford repayments, firms should offer the following help and support.

  • ​Give you time and opportunity to repay, and not pressurise you into repaying your debt within an unreasonably short period of time.
  • Put in place an affordable repayment arrangement, and take account your wider financial situation including other debts and essential living expenses.
  • If a repayment arrangement is agreed, the firm should suspend, reduce, waive or cancel any interest, fees or charges. 
​If you do need further support at the end of the current payment deferral (31 October 2020), or you are seeking support for the first time, this will affect your credit file. ​

Payday loans

If you have a payday loan your lender should allow you a one month payment freeze, no interest will be added during this payment freeze. After the payment freeze ends, you should be allowed to repay the deferred payment in an affordable way. Only one payment freeze can be requested. If you have already had a payment freeze and are unable to make up the deferred payment please see our Payday loans fact sheet and contact us for advice​.

Buy-now-pay-later, rent-to-own and pawnbroker debts

If you have a buy-now-pay-later, rent-to-own or pawnbroker agreement, lenders should allow you a three month payment freeze. Interest will continue to be added during this time, so it’s likely your payment will be higher once the payment freeze has ended. After the payment freeze period ends, you should be allowed to repay the deferred payments and interest in an affordable way. This could be longer than your original repayment date.

If a payment freeze is agreed with your lender because of problems caused by coronavirus, it should not negatively affect your credit reference file. If you have already had a payment freeze and are unable to return to your usual payments, firms can offer a further three months payment freeze or reduced payments.​

If you have a buy-now-pay-later agreement and your interest free promotional period is coming to an end, your lender can extend this for three months. If you request another payment freeze, this should be extended for a further three months.​

If you have a rent-to-own agreement, the length of the agreement can be extended. If you need the items, they should not be repossessed until 31 October 2020.​​

If you have a pawnbroker agreement, your pawnbroker can extend the redemption period for three months. If your redemption period had already passed, your pawnbroker should delay selling the item for three months. If you request another payment freeze, the redemption period and delay in selling the item should be extended for a further three months​.

Speak to your lender about the help they can provide if you have been affected by coronavirus.

Motor finance ​

If you have a vehicle on a hire purchase, personal contract purchase (PCP), or hire agreement and you can’t make your payments because of coronavirus, you can be given a three-month payment break. If you have already had a payment break and are unable to return to your usual payments, firms can offer a further three months payment break or reduced payments.​ You may also be able to get help if you want to keep the vehicle but your agreement is coming to an end. If you don’t want to keep the vehicle, or can’t afford to keep it in the longer term, you may have a number of different options depending on the kind of agreement you have. If you need to negotiate reduced payments, want to keep the vehicle for longer, or want to end the agreement early, contact us for advice

If you have only missed payments because of temporary financial problems caused by coronavirus, your lender should not normally take steps to repossess the vehicle​.


The rules which bailiffs in England and Wales have to comply with have been updated due to coronavirus. While the coronavirus lockdown restrictions are in place during the 'emergency period', bailiffs are not allowed to take control of goods at residential premises or on highways, or enter residential premises.

Bailiffs will be allowed to visit residential premises and resume normal enforcement activity from 6am on 23 August 2020, as the ‘emergency period’ will come to an end.

Magistrates' court hearings

Magistrates' courts are limiting the number of cases that are being heard. If you have been told to attend a magistrates' court hearing, it is important that you attend. However, to avoid an unnecessary journey, we suggest that you contact the court that is dealing with your case to check whether your hearing is going ahead.

If you have questions about an outstanding magistrates’ court fine, you should contact the National Compliance and Enforcement Service by emailing or by calling 0300 123 9252.

Sheriff court fines and hearings

As the courts have temporarily suspended their counter facilities for the payment of fines, you may need to choose another way of paying. For most fines you can use the court online payment system or automated phone system. However, for penalties that need your driving licence to be endorsed, you will need to send your payment and driving licence by post. For more information, see the Scottish Courts and Tribunals website.

If you have been told to attend a court hearing, it is important that you attend. However, to avoid an unnecessary journey, we suggest that you contact the court that is dealing with your case to check whether your hearing is going ahead.

Extra support

Food parcels

The Government has started to deliver food parcels to those most at risk from coronavirus. To receive a food parcel you need to have a medical condition which makes you extremely vulnerable to coronavirus. You can register as a clinically extremely vulnerable person on the GOV.UK website.

Free school meals

If your child is eligible for free school meals the school should make sure that they continue to provide this, the school may send food parcels or give you supermarket food vouchers. The scheme will now be running during the summer holiday, as well as term time. Speak to your child’s school to check that this is being done for you. More detail can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Food banks

If you are struggling to buy food, many food banks are staying open to support people during the coronavirus crisis. However the numbers of sessions are being reduced and you will be given or sent a pre-packed food parcel. You can find your local food bank through The Trussell Trust.


Many charities offer non-repayable grants to people who are struggling financially. To see if there are any grants which may be able to help you visit Turn2us​.

Council assistance support schemes

If you live in England you can apply to the welfare assistance scheme, each council runs their own scheme. Vouchers can be given to help pay for day-to-day essentials such as a hot meal, furniture or household appliances. Contact your local council to see if they can benefit from the scheme.

If you live in Scotland you can apply for a Crisis Gra​nt​​. The grant can cover the cost of an emergency such as, an unexpected crisis or a gap in your normal income.

If you live in Wales you can apply for an Emergency Assistance Payment. The payment can help cover the cost of food, clothing, gas, electric and emergency travel.​

Debt advice

To get personal advice on how to deal with your debts, use our Digital Advice Tool. Tell us about your situation and your debts, and our tool will advise you on the solutions suitable for you.

Visit and click ‘Get started’ in the ‘Find debt solutions’ box. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​