Increasing your income

Help from grants, advances and loans



Turn2us is a charity that helps people in financial need get access to benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. Check what benefits you may be able to get using the Turn2us benefits calculator and other advice about benefits, as well as a grants search tool, or ring the helpline on 0808 802 2000. ​

  • Check with your local council to see if you can get help with home improvements or a disabled facilities grant. This will depend on your income, whether you have a disability and what repairs need doing in your home.
  • If you are on Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit, you may qualify for a short-term advance or a budgeting loan from the DWP. If you are on Universal Credit, you may qualify for a short-term advance or a budgeting advance. Payments depend on your circumstances and there are guidelines on the type of items you are allowed to buy and who will qualify for help. Check GOV.UK for more information about budgeting loans or Universal Credit and contact us for advice.
  • The Social Fund also provides maternity grants and funeral expenses payments for people on qualifying benefits. Contact us or Turn2us for advice or see
  • If you are pregnant or have a child under four and you are on certain benefits, or you are pregnant and under 18, you may qualify for help with milk, fruit, vegetables and vitamins under the Healthy Start scheme. Contact the Healthy Start Issuing Unit on 0845 607 6823 or check to see if you qualify for this scheme on the Healthy Start website.
  • If you have no income or there is an emergency or disaster, you can apply for help from your local council's assistance scheme. You do not have to be on benefits to apply but you can only get help with certain items. Check the Children's Society's website for information about council welfare assistance schemes. Contact us for advice.