Advice from Business Debtline if you are self-employed


If you are self-employed, our sister organisation Business Debtline may be able to help you. On their website you can:

  • view an information pack and fact sheets that deal with debt problems when you are self-employed;
  • use a cash-flow forecasting tool to get an idea of how much money will come in, and go out of, your business over a certain period of time; and
  • complete and print off a business and household budget sheet.

You can phone Business Debtline on 0800 197 6026.

Extra help if you have mental-health difficulties

If you have mental-health difficulties, extra help is available to support you.

There are a number of organisations that may be able to provide you with different types of support. Some of these are listed below.

Anxiety UK supports thise living with anxiety disorders by providing information, support and understanding through a range of different services.

The Scottish Association for Mental Health answer general mental-health queries, advise you on your rights and signpost you to your local services.

Support in Mind Scotland works to improve the wellbeing and quality of life of people affected by serious mental illness. This includes those who are family members, carers and supporters.

Samaritans are there to help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or will just be there to listen.

Sane provides care and emotional support for people with mental-health problems, their families and carers as well as information for other organisations and the public.

Companies that charge for advice


use free advice

You could better spend the money you pay in fees by paying off your debts.

You may come across companies offering to sort out your debts if you pay a fee. Be very careful to look at what the company is promising to do for you before sending them any money. Some of these companies say they will get your creditors to write off part, or all, of your debts. Unless you have special circumstances, this is unlikely to happen.

  • Ask the company if they are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority.
  • The Financial Conduct Authority has issued rules and guidance on minimum standards for debt-management companies. You can use the rules and guidelines to make a complaint if the company does not follow them.
  • You can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service if you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint to the company.
  • Professional advice on dealing with your debts is always available free from agencies such as Citizens Advice, money advice centres, or by contacting National Debtline on 0808 808 4000