Dealing with your priority debts

Water and sewerage charges


disconnection and enforcement action

You cannot be disconnected for water and sewerage charges, but this is a priority debt because you pay it along with your council tax and the same enforcement rules apply.

Your local council will usually collect your water charges with your council tax bill, and pass the money on to Scottish Water.  The charges will be listed on your council tax bill.  Any debts for water and council tax are treated as one single debt.  Arrears are collected and enforcement action carried out in the same way as for council tax. This means that diligence could be used against you.

What happens if I don't pay my council tax?

Water meters

If you pay for your water direct to Scottish Water because you have a water meter, you will not have to pay for water through your council tax bill. Scottish Water cannot disconnect your water supply.  If you do not pay, they can collect the arrears by taking action in the sheriff court in the same way as for credit debts. 


What if my creditors take court action?

The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO)

If you have a complaint about your water supply, contact your supplier first. If you are not happy with their reply, you may be able to take your complaint to the SPSO. They can deal with complaints about most water suppliers.