Dealing with your non-priority debts

What if I have a complaint about my credit agreement?

See our fact sheet:

Complaining about your lender.

You have a right to complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service about how your lender or a debt-collection agency has dealt with your account. You will have to follow your lender's complaints procedure first but from July 2012, your lender only has one opportunity to resolve your complaint before you can ask the Ombudsman to look at it. To make a complaint to the Ombudsman, you need to fill in their complaints form. You can either do this over the phone or download the form from their website.

You may also be able to ask the sheriff court to look at the relationship between you and your lender. This could lead to the court changing the terms of the agreement and even reducing the balance or ordering your lender to pay the loan payments back to you. For more information about the unfair relationships test, contact us for advice.

I already have a sheriff court decree

See our fact sheet:

Time to pay directions and orders.​​

If you already have a sheriff court decree, you need to decide whether or not to include any payments that the court has ordered in the Your outgoings section of Your budget, or whether to apply to the court to change the payments. Contact us for advice.

What if I already have a sheriff court decree?