Skip to content

Coronavirus: extra support

Check insurance policies

Check if you have an insurance policy which could increase your income or cover payments on essential items such as your mortgage. Contact the insurer to see what help you may be able to receive. You may have:

  • ​payment protection insurance;
  • ​mortgage payment protection insurance; or
  • accident, sickness or unemployment insurance.​

Clinically extremely vulnerable

The Government has released new guidance for individuals who are classed as clinically extremely vulnerable.

In England, if you are classed as clinically extremely vulnerable, extra support may be available to you. Contact your council if you need urgent help getting essential supplies and cannot rely on supermarket deliveries, family, friends or neighbours

In Wales, the Government has also provided guidance for individuals who are classed as clinically extremely vulnerable. The guidance also has a list of organisations which may be able to help you in a variety of areas such as mental health and employment.

Free school meals

If your child is eligible for free school meals and has to be at home for reasons relating to coronavirus, the school should make sure that they provide you with food parcels. During the coronavirus pandemic the free school meals scheme may run during the school holidays as well as term time. Speak to your child’s school to check that this is being done for you. More detail can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Food banks

If you are struggling to buy food, many food banks are staying open to support people during the coronavirus crisis. However the numbers of sessions are being reduced and you will be given or sent a pre-packed food parcel. You can find your local food bank through The Trussell Trust.


Many charities offer non-repayable grants to people who are struggling financially. To see if there are any grants which may be able to help you, visit Turn2us​.

Council assistance support schemes

If you live in England you can apply to the Household Support Fund. You may be able to receive a small grant to help with daily needs such as food, clothing and utilities. Contact your local council to check if you may be eligible.

If you live in England you can apply to the welfare assistance scheme, each council runs their own scheme. Vouchers can be given to help pay for day-to-day essentials such as a hot meal, furniture or household appliances. Contact your local council to see if they can benefit from the scheme.

If you live in Wales you can apply for an Emergency Assistance Payment. The payment can help cover the cost of food, clothing, gas, electric and emergency travel.​

Debt advice

To get personal advice on how to deal with your debts, use our Digital Advice Tool. Tell us about your situation and your debts, and our tool will advise you on the solutions suitable for you.

Visit and click ‘Get started’ in the ‘Find debt solutions’ box. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​